Yesterday I did my very first voice over (or as the pros/me call it: V.O.) gig. One of my very favorite strategists/developers Josh Horton hired me to write the script for a PSA/info-graphic/animated video for his nonprofit client and then hired me to be the voice as well! As you can see by the picture above I was not excited at all. And since we did the recording in my friend Seth’s studio, I was extra obnoxious. So here are the reasons I will not ever get hired back:
- I referred to myself exclusively as “the talent”
- Or as a ‘double threat’ aka writing/acting…I dance too they just don’t know it yet.
- I made Josh take several pictures of me “in action” in the sound booth. One of them I called my Whitney Houston. #toosoon.
- I kept reverting to my Kristen Wiig impression and saying, “Don’t make me speeeeaaaak.”
- I wore jean shorts.
- I did the least studio-cool thing ever in my pic: the thumbs up
- 3 Morgan Freeman references
- I asked why there weren’t lines of cocaine on the baby grand.
- I kept yelling, “I’m gonna be a STAR” in my Dick Tracy voice.
I think it’s safe to say my VO career is over before it began. BUT the video is going to be awesome. And when it comes out I’m updating my twitter bio to include, “vocal actress, or “narrator.”